Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989, the Sons of Jacob Synagogue is the last remaining symbol of the once large Jewish community once based in the Smith Hill neighborhood of Providence. The two story brick structure was built in two stages starting in 1906 and completed in 1922. Since its completion, the building has remained largely unaltered.
The interior of the synagogue features ornate stained glass windows and murals. Although the building is still used regularly for worship, the congregation’s numbers have declined. The roof has been secured, but damage to interior plaster needs repair, as do the windows. As of February, 2019, a group of concerned citizens and Synagogue members has created the Rhode Island Jewish Museum within the historic building. They are working to raise funds to care for the building.