This was the country retreat from Benefit Street for Ebenezer Knight Dexter. The substantial deck-on-hip roof Federal house with brick end walls was on the south side of an approximately fifty-acre tract by land bounded by Angell and Hope Streets on the south and west and Lloyd and Arlington Avenues on the north and east. Dexter gave most of his land to the Town of Providence for use as a poor farm. Brown University acquired that parcel in 1957 and continues to develop it with athletic facilities. After John J. Stimson, for whom nearby street is named, bought the property in 1837, the addition on the east, with a pleasant porch, was constructed.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture