Share This

Frederick E. Field’s Colonial Revival residential facility appropriates mid-eighteenth-century Georgian domesticity and, as other architects did at the same time, pumps it up in both size and scale. But the metaphor is apt and, instead of looking institutional, it projects a welcoming demeanor. The institution, like so many of its period segregated by sex, dates from 1874, but this building became possible following the death of manufacturer Henry J. Steere, a partner in the Wanskuck Co.

– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture

© 2019 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved.