Share This

There is no documented architect associated with this pleasant pair of substantial brick houses (with 214 Olney Street), not identical but clearly related, as, indeed, were their occupants, two sisters and their husbands. Both couples married when they were in their early sixties, the Halls first. Following the marriage of the Whites (she was the spinster sister of White’s former business partner) in 1896, the two couples built these as retirement homes. And what a delightful setting for such houses, with their large porches facing the open reservoir then immediately south, which would have refreshingly cooled the prevailing southwest breezes in summer.

– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture

 

 

© 2019 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved.
Design by J. Hogue at Highchair designhaus, with development & support by Kay Belardinelli.