In 1842, Phebe S. Aldrich purchased the property now located at 123 Sheldon Street from then owner Nicholas Stillwell for $250. Soon after, in 1845, Aldrich constructed her home. True to the Greek Revival style popular at the time throughout Providence’s East Side, this 2½-story, five bay façade house includes several elements derived from classical vocabulary, including its corner board. The property contributes to the College Hill National Historic Landmark District.
Following several changes in ownership throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, this historic property was abandoned by 1998. It was included in 1998 and 1999 on the Most Endangered Properties lists. The poor condition of the roof had caused extensive interior water damage, the grounds were untended and windows were either boarded up or missing. The building’s exterior façade, corner boards and decorative trim were deteriorating from a lack of paint.