The Raymond G. Bugbee House was constructed in 1912 on a lot between Locust Grove Cemetery and Congress Street, the side yard of which faces Elmwood Avenue. The multi-family house occupies an important position not only on the immediate streetscape but furthermore within the Elmwood Historic District; as the property sits at the western edge of the District, its proper condition is necessary for the maintenance of its historic appearance. The construction of the house reflects the development of middle-class multi-unit housing in Elmwood.
Prior to its inclusion on the Most Endangered Properties list in 1999, concerned neighbors called attention to the disrepair of this historic home. At the time, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) held title to the property. Years of inactivity by HUD allowed the vacant structure to deteriorate and blight the neighborhood. Neighbors and preservationists expressed fear that the further deferral of restoration to the home would adversely impact the Historic District.
SAVED: Following its MEP listing, the Elmwood Foundation purchased the Bugbee House from the City, and renovated the structure into three affordable housing units. The Providence Revolving Fund acted as a consultant on the project. The building received tax credits for its rehabilitation. As of February, 2019, the building is well-maintained.