Share This

One of the oldest houses in this section of Smith Hill, the Sheffield Smith House was constructed by a quarryman in 1855.  With a five-bay façade and ornate central-entrance, the 2 ½ story building has an impressive presence on the streetscape. Italianate detailing includes the hooded front door flanked by heavy brackets and a round-arch central window. The façade also features substantial two-story pilasters dividing the bays, with clustered brackets serving as capitals.

Foreclosed in 2007, the house has been boarded-up and vacant for years, first through ownership by a Texas-based bank and most recently by local investors. It was included on the Most Endangered Properties list 2015-2017 in order to attract attention and spur appropriate redevelopment for the property. As of February, 2019, work on the house has proceeded slowly and somewhat inappropriately. The exterior of the house is subject to review by Providence Historic District Commission.

© 2019 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved.