Share This

This two-story, brick, flat-roof building was once part of a complex constructed between 1901 and 1956 that was bounded by Eddy Street, Globe Street, and Manchester Street (now known as Marengo Street). The entrance is flanked by sidelights and set below several bands of brick corbelling. This two-story block was part of the original building and appears on the 1908 Sanborn map. The blonde brick structure features projecting brick piers between each bay, topped with stone trim. Fenestration is comprised of rectangular openings with a combination of glass block and boarded up windows.

According to a combination of both maps and business directories, the Ward Baking Company building was constructed between 1901 and 1908. Between 1908 and 1918 small additions were built to the rear of the building. By 1926, an addition was built on the Eddy Street side of the building, adding an additional 6,432 square feet. Between 1937 and 1956 a large section for storage was added to the rear of the building.

The Ward Baking Company remained at this location through the late 1970s. After being left vacant in the early 1980s, Retailer’s Food Center Wholesale took over the site between 1985 and 1988. Tara Manufacturing Co. and Ideal Rack Co. were also housed there around 1988, sharing the space with Wholesale Foods. By 1993 the building was once again left vacant.

In 2012, PPS included the building on the Most Endangered Properties list. This followed a 2011 demolition that was allowed by the Providence Historic District Commission, with the stipulation that the developer preserve the Administration Building. The building was continually threatened by demolition, leading to PPS including it on the 2012 and 2014 MEP list. As of February, 2019, the property is owned by Lifespan. There are no current plans for reuse or development of the site.

© 2019 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved.