The Welcome Arnold House was built in 1785 in the federal style. This 2.5 story house features an open gable roof with modillion detailing. Welcome Arnold was a well-known merchant and ship owner in Providence during the 18th century.
The home is situated on a narrow lot with the main entrance on the side of the house away from the street. It is a contributing element to the College Hill National register district and the College Hill local historic district. When it was built, it was just up the hill from the Sabin Tavern, owned by the Arnold family for more than a century. It may have been built to house the Arnold’s large family, servants or guests. It is a lone reminder of a once fashionable 18th century neighborhood along South Main Street.
In 2015, an application was put forth to rezone the property from a R-2 to C-2 residential zone which would allow more dwelling unit density. This petition was vetoed by the City Planning Commission (CPC) with recommendations, but still recommended the application be pushed forward to be approved by the City Council. The owner decided to restore rather than demolish the house.
Exterior work began on the house in 2016, but abruptly halted. In the following months, broken windows and doors were left unrepaired, exposing the interior to the elements. After several neighbors voiced their concern, the bottom floor was secured. Further pressure caused the City to force the owner to secure the entire house. In 2018, the owner continued restoring the house. However, the result was that all materials, other than the basic historic framing timbers, were removed. There is little left of the historic house. Some materials were rescued by Bob Burke for use elsewhere.