2012 William Kite, architect
Nineteenth-century visitors to Providence commented on the number and similarity of wood-frame Greek Revival houses that filled the city of Providence. Here we see one of those defining houses. Set gable end to the street with the gable end prescribing a pediment, supported on narrow corner pilasters, it emulates a Greek temple, an association further reinforced by the Corinthian-column entrance porch.
On the interior, original spaces and details define the original main block. Pierced-work cornices in the front hall, parlor, and dining room recall the increasing interest in elaborate detail during the mid-19th century. To the rear is a large kitchen and family room.
While Ann Eliza Burgess did indeed have the house constructed, she apparently built it for her daughter and son-in-law, Anna E. and Horatio R. Nightingale. The Nightingales lived here from 1852 until they moved across the street into their own home in 1870.
– Festival of Historic Houses Guidebook, 2013