Built in 1896 as an investment for builders Amey and Edward Harris, this house was the home of Joseph T.A. Eddy – an insurance broker – and his family. It was owned by the Ranger family from 1916 until 1983. Walter Ranger was a Commissioner of Education for the city of Providence. By the early 1980s, the house fell into severe disrepair and was faced with demolition. Its current – and third – owners painstakingly restored this prominent Queen Anne.
On the ground floor, original woodwork remains intact and the original parlor chandelier now graces the entry hall. The kitchen has seen two renovations by the current owners, the most recent within the past 10 years. A pantry was removed and converted to a sitting area, and a rear staircase was opened up, incorporating a fanciful sawn baluster.
— Festival of Historic Houses Guidebook, 2019