Architect Edward Tuckman Potter’s background as the son of the Episcopal Bishop of Pennsylvania, and as an apprentice of Richard Upjohn, the pre-eminent architect of Anglican churches in mid-nineteenth-century America, gave him strong credentials for this commission; he became undoubtedly the greatest High Victorian Gothic architect in the generation after Upjohn. As designed, it was planned with more elaborate use of colored stone on the exterior, a higher tower with small spires at each corner, and a soaring four-stage tower above. Financial difficulties eliminated these High Victorian touches and delayed the beginning of construction until 1868. If the exterior as realized is somewhat disappointing, the interior brings fulfillment. Slim bronzed columns, elaborate carved butterwood trim, and an elaborate ceiling with red and gold trim set off the stained-glass windows, including original glass by Henry E. Sharp of New York and replacement glass by English-trained artist Thomas W. Bladen, installed between 1897 and 1929.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture
Share your Story
Something to add? An edit or correction to suggest? Community input about the history of these important places is welcome. All submissions are reviewed before posting.