The Gothic Revival was just coming into fashion in the 1830s, and its allusions to fortified castles proved especially popular with armories and arsenals. Architect/builders Tallman & Bucklin, a versatile and prolific firm, designed and built a number of contemporary institutional buildings. Founded in 1801, the corps was the first volunteer artillery battery in the country. Built one lot south on the site of the parking lot, the building was moved here in 1906 when a train tunnel was drilled under that site.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture