Murphy, Hindle & Wright’s fine brick Italian Romanesque Revival church is splendid both architecturally and urbanistically. Its citation of Italian architectural sources is appropriate for a parish organized in 1889 for the neighborhood’s rapidly growing Italian community. The use of polychrome terra cotta is particularly effective. On the interior is a gorgeous set of stained-glass windows designed by Guido Nincheri, a native Italian who worked principally in Montreal. It was installed in the 1950s. Up close it’s good and, perched on the edge of the hill, it’s even better as a landmark in the skyline visible from many vantage points.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture