Set back from the corner, this small-frame, chalet-like building, designed by Stone & Carpenter, was built as a training school for kindergarten teachers, the second such in the country. By the late twentieth century it had been enlarged and was used as Hillel House. As its membership by both Brown and RISD students grew at century’s end, the organization required more and larger spaces. The addition, which extends to Angell Street, also embraces the circa 1798 William Holroyd and Samuel Eddy Houses immediately west at 106 and 100 Angell Street. Designed by Haynes/de Boer Associates, the project accommodates its large program through greater integration of existing structures and suppression of the space below ground level.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture