The Humboldt Fire Station was built in 1906 to the designs of E.T. Banning. The Beaux Arts-style building is the only fire station in the city built in this architectural style. The two story brick station is included in the Wayland National Register Historic District and features a flat roof with copper embellishment.
It is one of the oldest fire stations in Providence still in operation, second only to the Mount Pleasant Fire Station in the Mount Pleasant neighborhood of the city. In 2016, the City announced that Humboldt Fire Station would be one of a few stations in Providence to close due to underutilization and budget cuts. As of February, 2019, the building is vacant and deteriorating.