Share This

Originally built facing north on the lot immediately north of its present site, this suave Italianate house sports all the earmarks of that mid-nineteenth-century style as it was becoming popular: flush-board siding, bold hood over the door, dramatically oversized brackets at the cornice, and a prominent octagonal cupola perched atop the low roof. At the time that Winsor, a wholesale grocer, built this house, it must have seemed more like a country estate in this sparsely built area before the “broad way” was created in 1854.

– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture

© 2020 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved. Design by J. Hogue at Highchair designhaus, with development & support by Kay Belardinelli.