Share This

The Providence Gas Company Purifier House is a recognizable landmark on Allens Avenue with its brick façade,  industrial-style windows, and arched roof. This four-story building from the turn of the last century is notable as  an isolated and rare survivor from the earliest industrial period of the Providence Harbor and witness to  dramatic changes in industry and the waterfront.  

The Purifier House was built by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company, which expanded from bridge fabrication to  design and fabrication of special-purpose steel buildings, for the Providence Gas Company. A structure built to  enable technological advances in industry was itself a technological advancement. Steel frame construction  provided rapid assembly, strength, and custom design. The Purifier House served the process of coal burning  gas production for heating and lighting. As part of the Providence Gas Company’s South Station, it was  decommissioned in 1916 and the only building of the gas plant spared demolition.  

The steel frame, which is largely visible from the exterior, is the building’s most distinctive feature along with the  elliptical arch truss roof. The exterior skin and fenestration visible today date from modifications in the1920s,  when second and third floors were inserted internally. Many additions and modifications have come and gone,  though the main block of this building survives miraculously. The Purifier House was listed on the National  Register of Historic Places, a largely honorary designation, in 2006, and is part of the Providence Landmarks  District, a noncontiguous local historic district providing preservation protection to the exterior of the building.  Importantly, PLD designation provides demolition review, however, that does not protect it from structural  threats or obsolescence caused by the intensive activity of abutting neighbors. 

There were various subsequent uses of the building between the gas purification chapter and the Great  Depression and Hurricane of 1938, which devastated Providence Harbor. Beginning in 1940 and lasting sixty  years, the City Tire Company occupied the site. Most recently, the building was rebranded Conley’s Wharf,  housing small businesses, but the property sold in 2017 and is apparently vacant today. 

The context affecting the fate of the Purifier House is largely location. Allens Avenue is a major artery running  south from Downtown and serving as US 1A. The introduction of Interstate 95, parallel to the west, effectively  severed Allens Avenue and the first block of several east-west streets from residential South Providence to the  west. This sealed Allens Avenue’s fate as a location for largely noxious uses. Today, Allens Avenue is a lightning  rod for citizens concerned with issues of environmental justice and the health and well-being of the riverfront  and abutting neighborhoods- and neighbors! 

The architectural and historical significance of the Purifier House is well-documented. Furthermore, this one  building provides a snapshot of rapid, and sometimes ravaging, effects of industrial and environmental  changes due to location and use. The preservation and future of the structure have less to do with integrity or  adaptive reuse capacity and more to do with the harmful uses that surround it on the waterfront.  

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© 2023 Guide to Providence Architecture. All rights reserved. Design by J. Hogue at Highchair designhaus, with development & support by Kay Belardinelli.