This is the earliest remaining of the state’s first three full-blown Colonial Revival houses. Andrews, Jacques & Rantoul’s burly gambrel-roof house reveals itself as such in its large scale and its use of bay windows flanking the principal entrance. Metcalf (1857-1950) was an owner of the Wanskuck Mills, and a benefactor to both Brown University, his alma mater, and to RISD – the school his family helped to found and has long supported in many ways. He gave this house to serve as the home of the school’s president, which it has done since 1953.
– 2003 Guide to Providence Architecture