This three-story brick residence was built between 1798 and 1824 at the time College Hill had just begun to develop. Included on early street plans of early Providence, the Wheeler Martin House is considered a significant example of local architecture and a great contribution to the historic fabric of the surrounding area. Decorative details such as the dentil cornice and brick string courses reference contemporary taste. A plate-glass storefront and recessed entry facing the street accommodated commercial activity. The building is located opposite the Roger Williams Memorial Park and Visitors’ Center.
At the time PPS first included the Wheeler Martin House it on its Most Endangered Properties list in 1999 and 2000, the building had long stood vacant, exhibiting serious signs of disrepair: the brick mortar and stone trim had largely deteriorated leaving the building vulnerable to structural damage. At the same time, vegetation had invaded the interior floor of the street level.
SAVED: Due to the historical significance of the Wheeler Martin House in addition to its prime location across from Roger Williams Park on busy North Main Street at the foot of College Hill, the building was a prime candidate for redevelopment. Former residences neighboring the house had already been converted to professional office space and multi-unit dwellings. Keeping with this trend, Bay and Bay Architects restored the property, the ground-floor of which became professional office space.