Located in the Pine Street National Register District, the William H. Dyer House at 378 Dyer is arguably one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in Providence. Built between 1842 and 1844, this 2-1/2 story, end-gable, clapboard home was among the first residences constructed in the Pine Street Neighborhood during it initial development in the 1840s. The house is notable for its distinct and elaborate architectural details which include a one-story, Ionic side hall entrance portico, paneled corner pilasters, panel doors with anthemion, side lights and a transom light. Such ornamentation is unusual in Providence, though it may be partially explained by the fact that William H. Dyer, a master house wright, built this house on speculation. In 1857, the house was sold to his brother, also one of the original carpenters.
For many years prior to its inclusion on the 1995 Most Endangered Properties list, the Dyer house had stood vacant and in poor condition for several years. Highly vulnerable to arson, vandalism and further deterioration, the house demanded immediate restoration. Deferred maintenance, fire damage and changes in ownership through tax sale made this a difficult property to save.